- Birth Date
- 3 December 1807
- Death Date
- 29 August 1887
The Neslen family, consisting of Samuel, his wife Eunice Burgess Francis, and nine children, initially traveled to the Salt Lake Valley in the Claudius V. Spencer Company in 1853, as indicated in company records. Samuel and Eurnice’s nine children are: Susannah, Samuel Francis, Robert Francis, Esther Francis, Elizabeth Burgess, Eunice, Phebe, William Francis, and Hannah.
The Neslens left England, and sailed on the “Golconda” and arrived in New Orleans on 1 April 1853. Samuel and his family stayed in St. Louis while they prepared for their trip to the Salt Lake Valley. They then moved to Keokuk, Iowa, then on to Omaha, Nebraska. Eight months after the Neslen family left their home in England, all eleven of them arrived in the Salt Lake Valley.
In 1862, Samuel was called on a mission to Great Britain. At the end of that mission, he traveled home with the William Hyde Company in 1864, and acted as assistant Chaplain.
Samuel's surname is listed as "Eslen" in the Deseret News.
- Age at Departure: 45
- Head of Household
- Eunice Burgess Neslen (Age: 44)
- Susannah Frances Neslen (Age: 22)
- Samuel Francis Neslen (Age: 21)
- Robert Francis Neslen (Age: 20)
- Elizabeth Burgess Neslen (Age: 17)
- Esther Frances Neslen (Age: 16)
- Eunice Neslen (Age: 14)
- Phebe Neslen (Age: 13)
- William Francis Neslen (Age: 12)
- Hannah Rebecca Neslen (Age: 9)
- Age at Departure: 56
- Returning Missionary
- Claudius V. Spencer Company report, 1853.
- "Deaths," Deseret News, 31 August 1887, 528.
- England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
- Hannah Tapfield King autobiography, circa 1864-1872, Volume 6, circa 1864-1872.
- Holt, Emma Billings, History of Emma Billings Holt.
- "List of Immigrants," Deseret News, 19 October 1864, 2.
- Missionary Department Missionary Registers, 1860-1959, Volume 1.
- "Obituary," Deseret News, 21 September 1887, 576.
- Smith, John Lyman, Autobiography and journals, 1846-1864; 1894-1897, vol. 3, 188-91.
- Smith, John Lyman, Diary in John Lyman Smith, Papers, 1845-1875, vol. 2, 102-117.
- Utah State History Cemeteries and Burials Database.