- Birth Date
- About 1800
- Death Date
Tobe was an African American Slave who belonged to Elizabeth Coleman Crosby and traveled with her to Utah in 1848. Tobe's age was listed as 48 in "John Brown's company of 10, report, 1848 June."
Family tradition from Family Tree states that Elizabeth Coleman Crosby died on 18 February 1849. A slave named Tobe was listed as the property of William Crosby in the 1850 Slave Schedule. There is a possibility that the Tobe in the slave schedule is the same Tobe that once belonged to Elizabeth Crosby.
The book The Story of the Negro Pioneer states that Toby Embers Crosby married Hannah (a slave of Robert M. Smith). As stated above this Toby Embers Crosby who belonged to William Crosby may have previously belonged to Elizabeth Crosby.
- Age at Departure: Unknown
- California State Census, 1852.
- Carter, Kate B. The Story of the Negro Pioneer. (Salt Lake City: Daughters of Utah Pioneers, 1965), 5, 22, 31.
- John Brown's company of 10, report, 1848 June in Camp of Israel schedules and reports 1845-1849.
- Mississippi company, report, 1848 May in Camp of Israel schedules and reports, 1845-1849.
- "Slave Inhabitants in Utah County, Deseret," 1850 Utah Census, Utah County.