- Birth Date
- About 1802
- Death Date
He is listed as "Tobe" on the company roster. He was an enslaved African American man who belonged to Elizabeth Coleman Crosby, and traveled with her to Utah in 1848.
His age was listed as 48 in "John Brown's company of 10, report, 1848 June."
Family tradition from Family Tree states that Elizabeth Coleman Crosby died on 18 February 1849. A slave named "Toby" was listed as the property of William Crosby in the 1850 Slave Schedule.
The book The Story of the Negro Pioneer states that Toby Embers Crosby married Hannah (a slave of Robert M. Smith).
- Age at Departure: 46
- California State Census, 1852.
- Carter, Kate B. The Story of the Negro Pioneer. (Salt Lake City: Daughters of Utah Pioneers, 1965), 5, 22, 31.
- John Brown's company of 10, report, 1848 June in Camp of Israel schedules and reports 1845-1849.
- Mississippi company, report, 1848 May in Camp of Israel schedules and reports, 1845-1849.
- "Slave Inhabitants in Utah County, Deseret," 1850 Utah Census, Utah County.