- Birth Date
- 18 May 1828
- Death Date
- 13 January 1903
Some sources spell his surname "Welsh." Charles crossed the Atlantic on the ship Ellen Maria in 1853. One of his obituaries says he arrived in Utah in 1850 but the ship record and the Jacob Gates Company Report demonstrate that this is incorrect.
Birth date is confirmed by his re-baptism record in the Salt Lake Stake record of members, the membership records of the Ogden 2nd Ward and the missionary register.
- Age at Departure: 25
- 1856 Utah Census.
- Christopher Arthur Emigrating Company journal, 1853 February-October.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- Frank Esshom, Pioneers and Prominent Men of Utah (Salt Lake City: Utah Pioneers Book Publishing Company, 1913).
- “Jacob Gates Company report, 1853 September 11.” In Brigham Young office emigrating companies reports 1850-1862, Reports 1853-1855. (CR 1234 5, Box 1, Folder 28)
- James Farmer journal, 1851 April-1856 November.
- Missionary Department Missionary Registers, 1860-1959, Volume 1.
- "News Clippings," Logan Republican, 16 Jan. 1903, 5.
- "Pioneer Dead," Ogden Standard, 13 Jan. 1903, 6.
- Salt Lake Stake Record of Members, 1848-1917.