- Birth Date
- 21 June 1824
- Death Date
- 22 March 1901
Charles Franklin Decker
Charles initially traveled to the Salt Lake Valley as a guide in the Jedediah M. Grant - Joseph B. Noble Company in 1847. He went on to cross the plains a total of fifty-three times including in the Brigham Young Company of 1848, the Lorenzo Dow Young Company of 1850, and the Joseph W. Young Company of 1853. Charles is not on the Joseph W. Young company roster, however journal entries provide proof that he traveled with this company.
He also participated in the rescue effort the winter of 1856 when several companies were stranded on the plains of Wyoming.
- Age at Departure: 22
- Head of Household
- Age at Departure: 23
- Age at Departure: 25
- Age at Departure: 28
- Age at Departure: 32
- 1900 Utah Census.
- Broomhead, William, Diary, 1856 Oct-1857 Apr.
- Burton, Robert Taylor, Diaries 1856-1907, Record book, circa 1856 October-November.
- Byington, Joseph H., Letter, 3 May 1905, in B. Fay Byington, comp., The Family History of the Byington Family , 77-78.
- "Charles F. Decker, Noted Pioneer, Dies at Vernal," The Salt Lake Herald, 23 March 1901, 3.
- Daniel Davis diaries, 1846-1892, Journal, 1846 May-1889 January, 90-101.
- Eliza R. Snow journals, 1846-1951.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- "First 100, report, 1848 June," In Camp of Israel schedules and reports 1845-1849, Brigham Young's 1848 emigration division.
- Grant, George D., "The Companies Yet on the Plains," Deseret News [Weekly], 19 November 1856, 293.
- Grant, Jedediah M., Letter, in Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 15 Aug. 1847, 3-4.
- Handcart Veterans Association. Handcart Veterans Association scrapbook, 1906-1914, folder 7.
- "Interesting News from the Plains," Frontier Guardian , 24 July 1850, 1-2.
- Jones, Daniel W., Forty Years Among the Indians (1890), p. 62-114.
- Joseph Young Emigrating Company journal, 1853 February-June.
- Josiah Rogerson, "Strong Men, Brave Women and Sturdy Children Crossed the Wilderness Afoot," Salt Lake Tribune, 4 January 1914.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 21 June 1847, 28.
- Journal History of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Supplement after 31 December 1848, 4.
- Oliphant, Charles Henry, Autobiography, 9-10.
- "Pioneer Mormon Woman Passes Away," Salt Lake Telegram, 20 November 1902, 3.
- "Uncle Charlie' Decker is Dead," Deseret Evening News, 23 March 1901, 2.
- Utah State History Cemeteries and Burials Database.
- Young, Joseph Watson, Papers, 1849-1872, box 1, fd. 1, vol. 3, 124-26.