- Birth Date
- 1 January 1813
- Death Date
- 8 June 1898
James and his family initially traveled with the Jesse Haven Company as it traveled across Iowa, before it merged with the Edward Martin Company (1856). His family dropped out on August 1st. They settled for a period of time in Des Moines. Two sons, George and John, continued with the Martin Company.
The family sailed to America in 1856 on the ship Horizon.
- Age at Departure: 43
- Head of Household
- 1860 Iowa Census
- England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
- Find a Grave (Website)
- Haven, Jesse, Journals, 1852-1892, vols. 4-5.
- Historians Office Record of Members (Minnie Margetts file).
- Mormon Migration
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger B, p. 248.
- Rogerson, Josiah, Sr., "Strong Men, Brave Women and Sturdy Children Crossed the Wilderness Afoot," Salt Lake Tribune, 4 January 1914.