- Birth Date
- 9 March 1811
- Death Date
- 14 April 1892
Gates served as a captain of ten during his initial trip to the valley, but he later captained his own company, assisting emigrations make the journey across the plains.
- Age at Departure: 36
- Age at Departure: 42
- Company Captain
- Head of Household
- Age at Departure: 50
- Blodgett, Sarah Susannah Garrard, Autobiographical sketch, in Sarah Lucy Bronson Boden and Nina Beth Goe Cunningham, Reid Family History , 55.
- Christopher Arthur Emigrating Company journal, 1853 February-October.
- "Death of Elder Jacob Gates," Deseret News [Weekly], 23 April 1892, 570.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- “Jacob Gates Company report, 1853 September 11.” In Brigham Young office emigrating companies reports 1850-1862, Reports 1853-1855. (CR 1234 5, Box 1, Folder 28)
- Jacob Gates journals, 1836-1861, [Volume 2] 1843 January-1847 October.
- James Farmer journal, 1851 April-1856 November.
- John Vance journal, 1847 June-October; 1849.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 21 June 1847, 35.
- Martin, Robert. Personal History, 1890, 8-12.
- Missionary Department Missionary Registers, 1860-1959, Volume 1.
- Ririe, James, The Autobiography of James Ririe, 34-37. (Trail excerpt transcribed from "Pioneer History Collection" available at Pioneer Memorial Museum [Daughters of Utah Pioneers Museum], Salt Lake City, Utah. Some restrictions apply.)
- Saints By Sea: Latter-day Saint Immigration to America
- Smith, Elizabeth Fovargue, Journal 1884-1891, fd. 1.
- Squires, John Paternoster, Reminiscences and journals, 1848-1900, Book B, 28-29.
- Stephen Forsdick autobiography, circa 1927, 15-26.
- Utah, Early Mormon Missionary Database
- Utah State History Cemeteries and Burials Database.
- Wiggill, Eli, Reminiscences, 39-41. (Trail excerpt transcribed from "Pioneer History Collection" available at Pioneer Memorial Museum [Daughters of Utah Pioneers Museum], Salt Lake City, Utah. Some restrictions apply.)
- Wride, Barry, Small Journal, June 23-July 25, 1861, in W. Thomas Wride, ed., Barry Wride, 1833-1913, His Family and His Journals (1999), 51-52.