- Birth Date
- 17 March 1818
- Death Date
- 15 January 1894
Initially, James traveled to the Salt Lake Valley in the Jedediah M. Grant/Willard Snow Company in 1847 according to his autobiographical sketch and a Deseret Evening News article on 17 January 1894.
According to James’ Autobiography, In 1849 he was called on a mission by Parley P. Pratt to California, and in September of 1850 his mission was extended to the Sandwich Islands. He served for 3 years and 7 months on the islands. He baptized about 415 individuals. He left the islands in July 1854, and then spent a year in California by Parley P. Pratt’s request.
In 1855, James traveled from San Francisco to the Salt Lake Valley with the Parley P. Pratt Company, as indicated in a letter from Parley P. Pratt to the Deseret News and an article in the Deseret News on 22 Aug 1855.
According to his autobiography, on 12 May 1857, he left on another mission to the Sandwich islands. However, given the political happenings in Utah at the time, he was called home. He traveled by way of San Bernardino and arrived home 12 February 1858.
- Age at Departure: 29
- Age at Departure: 37
- "Arrived," Deseret News [Weekly], 22 Aug. 1855, 189.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- Hawkins, James, Autobiographical sketch, in 27th Quorum, Biographies, 1850-1858, vol. 1, 21, in Seventies, Records, 1844-1975, reel 83.
- "James Hawkins," Deseret Evening News, 17 Jan. 1894, 5.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 26 September 1856, 33.
- Missionary Department Missionary Registers, 1860-1959, Volume 1.
- Pratt, Parley P., "Correspondence," Deseret News [Weekly], 22 August 1855, 192.
- Utah State History Cemeteries and Burials Database.