- Birth Date
- 25 June 1813
- Death Date
- 7 July 1878
John Harris Picknell
John is seen with his wife, Sarah, and their children, Sarah, John, Thomas, Fanny, Catherine, and James, is seen on the passenger list for the ship Clara Wheeler, arriving in New Orleans on 12 January 1855. However, on the passenger list (not the reservation list from British Mission Record, as seen in Mormon Migration), there is a notation next to his name saying he went ashore again in Liverpool. He did not cross the ocean with his family. He made the overseas trip a few months later on the ship The Isaac Jeans.
He is seen crossing the plains in the 1855 Hindley Company but there is no indication that any of the rest of his family was with him. Sarah was likely the only child to make the trip to Utah. Further research is needed to determine when and with with which company she completed the trip to the Valley.
- Age at Departure: 42
- 1860 Utah Census.
- 1870 Utah Census.
- “1st Company of 50 report, 1855.” In Brigham Young office emigrating companies reports 1850-1862, Reports 1853-1855. (CR 1234 5, Box 1, Folder 36)
- "Immigration List," Deseret News, 12 September 1855, 214.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 3 September 1855, 3.
- New Orleans, Passenger Lists, 1813-1963.
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger A, p. 302.
- Utah, Deaths and Burials, 1888-1946.