- Birth Date
- 28 March 1829
- Death Date
- 8 June 1906
Lettice Simpson Hurdsman
Lettice Simpson Barnes
On the newspaper roster of the 1855 Andrus Company the family surname is spelled "Herdsman." Lettice and her family crossed the Atlantic on the ship Juventa and the plains to Utah in 1855; but, according to a history written in the late 1990's, they returned to St. Louis the next year. While in St Louis Lettice bore and lost two children. (See The St. Louis Index.) In 1860 Lettice, her husband John and their son Charles again crossed the plains to Utah where another child was born 18 May 1861. Additional research is needed to identify the name of the pioneer company with which they made their final plains crossing.
- Age at Departure: 26
- 1900 Utah Census.
- "Died," Deseret News, 9 June 1906, 2.
- Kunz, Katherine Ella Hurdsman, John Henry Hurdsman and Lettice Simpson Barnes, Early Pioneers of Utah, 2-4.
- "Names of Passengers," Deseret News, 17 October 1855, 5.
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger B, p. 96.
- Salt Lake City Cemetery, Sexton Records
- "The St. Louis Index," Nauvoo Journal, (Fall 1998), 10:78.
- Utah Death Certificate Index, 1905-1967.