- Birth Date
- 27 May 1836
- Death Date
- 7 November 1909
James and his wife Elizabeth ("Eliza") sailed to America in 1860 on the Underwriter, spent some time in New York, and then arrived in Utah by 1864. Church ordinances were performed for James and Elizabeth on 29 April 1865, which was prior to the arrival of that season's emigration.
His obituary states, "In 1864 he was the captain of a brave little band of immigrants who set out of Utah." Further research is needed to confirm this information.
- Age at Departure: 27
- 1900 Utah Census.
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger C, p. 261.
- "Pioneer of Utah Passes Away," Ogden Standard, 8 Nov. 1909, 7.
- Saints By Sea: Latter-day Saint Immigration to America
- Utah Death Certificate Index, 1905-1967.
- Utah State History Cemeteries and Burials Database.