- Birth Date
- 5 July 1814
- Death Date
- 3 November 1890
He sailed to America in 1855 on the ship Samuel Curling. The ship manifest shows his name as "Samuel Willis."
William initially traveled to the Salt Lake Valley with the Milo Andrus Company in 1855. In 1853, his wife, Ann Kibbey, and their five children, Fredrick George, Harriet Ann, Ann Sarah, William John, and John Kibbey, traveled with the Appleton M. Harmon Company, while he served a mission to India. Four years and two months after their parting, they were reunited when William arrived in Salt Lake on 20 October 1855, on the seventh anniversary of his baptism, according to his journal. His surname is listed as “Willis” on the company roster.
At the end of another mission from India or England, William traveled with the D. J. McCann Freight Train in 1865, according to his journal and Journal History.
- Age at Departure: 41
- Age at Departure: 50
- Returning Missionary
- Missionary Department Missionary Registers, 1860-1959, Volume 1.
- "Names of Passengers," Deseret News, 17 October 1855, 5.
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger A, p. 213.
- Utah State History Cemeteries and Burials Database.
- Willes, William (1814-1890), Journals and reminiscences, 1851-1885, vol. 2 [near end of journal], 2 p.
- Willes, William, Journals and reminiscences, 1851-1885, vol. 5, 45-46.