- Birth Date
- 8 March 1826
- Death Date
- 20 August 1898
David Marshall Stuart
David initially traveled to the Salt Lake Valley with the Abraham O. Smoot/George B. Wallace Company in 1847. He traveled from his home in Scotland to Liverpool, where he sailed on the “Windsor Castle” on 25 October 1845. He landed in New Orleans on 22 November.
In 1848, he traveled with a company back to Winter Quarters and on to St. Louis carrying mail. From there, he traveled to California doing general work and some missionary work. Then he served a mission to Oregon.
In 1858, David traveled with the Frederick A. Mitchell Company, as indicated in a correspondence between David and George A. Smith. He traveled with his wife, Sarah Elizabeth Keyes.
On 20 April 1861, he left for a two year mission to Scotland. He traveled back to the Salt Lake Valley in the Thomas E. Ricks Company in 1863, and acted as company chaplain, doctor, and commissary.
His name is listed as "David Stewerd" in the Wallace journal.
He was a returning missionary from England in 1863.
- Age at Departure: 21
- Age at Departure: 32
- Head of Household
- Age at Departure: 37
- Returning Missionary
- Camp of Israel schedules and reports, 1845-1849.
- "David M. Stuart. A Pioneer of Utah Has Gone to His Rest," Ogden Standard Examiner, 22 Aug. 1898, 4.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- Frederick A. H. F. Mitchell journals, 1856-1858 and 1899.
- George Benjamin Wallace Emigrating Company journal, 1847 June-September.
- Missionary Department Missionary Registers, 1860-1959, Volume 1.
- "Obituary," Deseret Evening News 27 Aug. 1898, 7.
- Stuart, David M., Reminiscences, in David M. Stuart, Pioneer Missionary, True Life Story of David M. Stuart , 5.
- Stuart, David M., Reminiscences, in David M. Stuart, Pioneer Missionary, True Life Story of David M. Stuart , 50.
- Stuart, David M., to George A. Smith, 28 Jan. 1859, , in Missionary reports, 1831-1900.
- Utah, Deaths and Burials, 1888-1946.