- Birth Date
- 10 September 1832
- Death Date
- 28 July 1899
Traveled with Casper and Barbara Bryner; married Barbara soon after arriving in Salt Lake City. They crossed the Atlantic on the ship Juventa (his surname is spelled "Mathes" on the passanger list. On the handwritten roster of the Ballentyne Company his name appears immediately before the Bryner's (spelled Breener); John's surname appears to be spelled "Mottese." His birth is listed as 10 November 1832 in the Ninth Ward record of members.
In some sources his name is "Johannes Mathys."
Birth and death dates are confirmed by his gravestone.
- Age at Departure: 22
- Head of Household
- 4th Company of 50 report, 1855 June.
- "Immigration List," Deseret News, 12 September 1855, 214.
- Ninth Ward, Record of members collection, 1836-1970.
- "Obituary," Washington County News, 19 August 1899, 2,
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger B, p. 100.
- Saints By Sea: Latter-day Saint Immigration to America