- Birth Date
- 16 August 1813
- Death Date
- 21 February 1873
The Pitt family initially traveled to the Salt Lake Valley with the Edward Hunter Company in 1850. The family included William and his son, Moroni William, of his first wife, his current wife Cornelia Melvina Devine, and their two sons William Heber and Robert Calvin.
William was rebaptized in Salt Lake City on 21 December 1851.
At the end of a mission, William returned home with the Richard Ballantyne Company in 1855. William was the Captain of the 2nd Ten, and a musician.
Apparently, the middle name of “Hill” was added by a descendant to distinguish him from other men by the name of William Pitt. “Hill” does not appear on any contemporary document, including his personal Bible.
- Age at Departure: 36
- Head of Household
- Age at Departure: 41
- 1850 Utah Census.
- “4th Company of 50 report, 1855 June.” In Brigham Young office emigrating companies reports 1850-1862, Reports 1853-1855. (CR 1234 5, Box 1, Folder 39)
- Bailey, Charles Ramsden, Autobiography, in Joel Edward Ricks, Cache Valley Historical Material [ca. 1955], reel 1, item 9, 10-12.
- Ballantyne, Richard, to Brigham Young, 22 July 1855, in Brigham Young, Office Files 1832-1878, reel 33, box 23, fd. 18.
- Edward Hunter and Robert Campbell letter to Brigham Young, 17 July 1850.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- George Mayer reminiscences and diary, 1853 January-1896 April, 239-49.
- "Immigration List," Deseret News, 12 September 1855, 214.
- Isaiah M. Coombs collection, 1835-1938, Diaries, Volume 1, 1855 April-1856 April 27.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saint, Supplement after 31 December 1850, 11.
- Martha S. Heywood reminiscences, undated, Journal, 1850 January-1856 August.
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger A, p. 148.
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger B, p. 92.
- Perpetual Emigrating Funds, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger A, p. 194.
- Pitt, Robert Calvin, [Interview], in "Utah Pioneer Biographies," 44 vols., 23:147-48.
- Richard Ballantyne papers, 1852-1896, Journal, 1855 July-September.
- Salt Lake Stake Record of Members, 1848-1917.