- Birth Date
- 3 February 1808
- Death Date
- 8 June 1878
William was a Captain of Ten. He traveled with his family. His first wife Hannah passed away some years previous. Four of their daughters, Lydia, Harriet, Sarah, and Elizabeth traveled with him. Lydia was married to James Stevenson who also traveled with them. William's sister, Elizabeth also traveled with them. William remarried, his second wife was Ann Cook.
The West family emigrated from England in 1855. They traveled on the ship, The Charles Buck, and arrived in New Orleans on March 14, 1855. They made their way up to Mormon Grove, Kansas (near Atchison). Here, William and Ann had their first child together, William Alma West. They continued onto Utah with the Richard Ballantyne Company of 1855.
William settled in Goshen UT.
By 1870, the family had moved to Pleasant Grove UT.
- Age at Departure: 47
- Head of Household
- 1860 Utah Census.
- 1870 Utah Census, Utah County.
- 4th Company of 50 report, 1855 June.
- "Died," Deseret News,19 June 1878, 320.
- “Died,” Salt Lake Herald, 14 June 1878, .
- Find a Grave (Website)
- George Mayer reminiscences and diary, 1853 January-1896 April, 239-49.
- "Immigration List," Deseret News, 12 September 1855, 214.
- Isaiah M. Coombs collection, 1835-1938, Diaries, Volume 1, 1855 April-1856 April 27.
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger A, p. 211.
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger A, p. 391.
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger B, p. 76.
- Richard Ballantyne papers, 1852-1896, Journal, 1855 July-September.