- Birth Date
- 8 April 1820
- Death Date
- 3 June 1908
Daniel Duncan McArthur Sr.
The McArthur family traveled to the Salt Lake Valley with the Brigham Young Company in 1848. The McArthur’s included Daniel and his wife Matilda Caroline Fuller, and their children Daniel Duncan Jr. and Andrew McArthur (son from Daniel’s first marriage).
At the end of a mission, Daniel returned home as Captain of the Daniel D. McArthur Company in 1856.
He served as Captain of the Daniel D. McArthur Company in 1863, and again in 1868.
- Age at Departure: 28
- Head of Household
- Age at Departure: 36
- Company Captain
- Age at Departure: 43
- Company Captain
- Age at Departure: 48
- Company Captain
- A Mormon chronicle: the Diaries of John D. Lee, 1848-1876 edited and annotated by Robert Glass Cleland and Juanita Brooks (1955), 1:30-79.
- Crandal, Mary B. "Autobiography of a Noble Woman," Young Woman's Journal, Feb. 1895, 266-67; ibid., Apr. 1895, 320-23; ibid., May 1895, 387-88; ibid., June 1895, 427.
- Daniel Duncan McArthur Emigrating Company journal, 1856 May-September.
- Daniel Spencer letter to Franklin D. Richards printed in "Foreign Correspondence," Millennial Star, 2 August 1856, 489-90.
- Davis, Mary E. Fretwell, Autobiography, 2-3.
- Denison, Mary Agnes Braithwaite, Autobiographical sketch, 1-2.
- Dowden, Naomi Debenham, Reminiscences, 2. Trail excerpt transcribed from "Pioneer History Collection" available at Pioneer Memorial Museum [Daughters of Utah Pioneers Museum], Salt Lake City, Utah. Some restrictions apply.
- Earl, Michael, Reminiscences. Trail excerpt transcribed from "Pioneer History Collection" available at Pioneer Memorial Museum [Daughters of Utah Pioneers Museum], Salt Lake City, Utah. Some restrictions apply.
- Elijah Larkin diaries, 1854-1867, 470-506.
- Farnes, Ebenezer, Reminiscences [ca. 1910], 10-14.
- Ferguson, Phyllis Hardie, [Reminiscences], in Lydia D. Alder, "The First Handcart Company," Improvement Era , July 1909, 721-23.
- First 100, report, 1848 June.
- "Got In," Semi-Weekly Telegraph, 7 September 1868, 2.
- Granger, Walter, Temple record [ca. 1877-1891], 102.
- Handcart Veterans Association. Handcart Veterans Association scrapbook, 1906-1914, folder 7.
- Historical Department journal history of the Church, 1896-2001 July, 2 September 1868, 3-22.
- Hobson, John Henry. "Autobiography," in Nora Crystal Hall Lund Biographies Collection, circa 1950-1983, Nora Crystal Hall Lund (4 reels, Microfilm; 4 boxes, Typescript), reel 2, 2.
- "Immigration of 1868," Semi-Weekly Telegraph, 28 September 1868, 3.
- Jenson, Andrew, Latter-day Saint Biographical Encyclopedia , 1:335-336.
- John Oakley journal excerpt, 1856 June-August.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 29 June 1848, 29.
- Martha Reese Alexander, Biographical information relating to Mormon pioneer overland travel database, 2003-2017.
- McArthur, Daniel D. Reminiscences, in Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 26 Sep. 1856, 3-6.
- Meeks, Mary Jane McCleve, Biography, "Personal Recollections of Mary Jane McCleve Meeks of Her Life 1840-1933," 9-18.
- Parry, John, Reminiscences and diary, 1857 Mar.-1867 Sept., 55-60.
- "Pioneer of Dixie Ends Long Career," Inter-Mountain Republican, 5 June 1908, 1.
- Rudger M. McArthur, compiler, Daniel Duncan McArthur: Mormon Pioneer (1990), 60-61.
- Saints By Sea: Latter-day Saint Immigration to America
- Sangiovanni, G.G.R., "Overland Trips Across the American Desert," Young Woman's Journal Aug. 1912), 427.
- Sloan, E. L., Letter, in Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 25 Sept. 1863, 2-3.
- Smith, Andrew, Diaries, 1853-1856, fd. 2.
- Thomas Bullock journals, 1843-1849, Journal, 1848 May-September.
- Treasures of Pioneer History, vol. 5. p. 239
- Utah Death Certificate Index, 1905-1967.
- William Woodward letter to Heber C. Kimball, 11 June 1856.
- Woodward, W., to Albert Jones, Handcart Veterans Association, 12 Sep. 1906. Handcart Veterans Association, Scrapbook, 1906-1914, fd. 2.