- Birth Date
- 18 August 1807
- Death Date
- 24 September 1856
John came from Belfast, Ireland with his wife and 7 children. He died en route two days before reaching Salt Lake. His surname is spelled "McClave" on the 1856 S. Curling ship manifest.
His death en route is also confirmed by the obituary of his daughter Mary Jane.
- Age at Departure: 48
- Head of Household
- Died en Route
- Crandal, Mary B. "Autobiography of a Noble Woman," Young Woman's Journal, Feb. 1895, 266-67; ibid., Apr. 1895, 320-23; ibid., May 1895, 387-88; ibid., June 1895, 427.
- Daniel Duncan McArthur Emigrating Company journal, 1856 May-September.
- "Emigrants for Utah," Deseret News, 6 August 1856, 176.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 26 September 1856, 36.
- Meeks, Mary Jane McCleve, [Reminiscences], in Juvenile Instructor , Mar. 1932, 136-37.
- Meeks, Mary Jane McCleve, Biography, "Personal Recollections of Mary Jane McCleve Meeks of Her Life 1840-1933," 9-18.
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger B, p. 198.
- "Pioneer of Kanab Stake Succumbs to Flu Pneumonia," Garfield County News, 27 Jan. 1933, 1.
- Saints By Sea: Latter-day Saint Immigration to America