- Birth Date
- 27 January 1811
- Death Date
- 21 June 1856
The Oakley journal mentions a "Bowers and son." The Walters journal states that at the time of his death he was "Aged 44 years, 5 months, 2 days." In some sources his name is listed as "Bowen".
- Age at Departure: 45
- Head of Household
- Died en Route
- Ann Ham Hickenlooper, Diary of Ann Ham Hickenlooper, wife of William Hanney Hickenlooper, crossed the plains with the first handcart co., arrived in Salt Lake City 26. Sept., 1856 and record of work done for the dead (Salt Lake City, Utah: Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1957).
- Bridges, Charles Henry, Autobiographical sketch [ca. 1885], 2.
- Edmund Ellsworth Emigrating Company papers, 1856, Folder contents: (1) Journal, 1856 June-September.
- "Emigrants for Utah," Deseret News, 6 August 1856, 176.
- John Oakley journal excerpt, 1856 June-August.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 26 September 1856, 26.
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger B, p. 170.
- Walters, Archer, Diary 1856 Mar.-Sept., 9-16.