- Birth Date
- 18 January 1822
- Death Date
- 18 June 1907
John was a pot-maker from England and he came with his wife and 6 children. Archer Walters says in his journal that John is his brother. Daughters of Utah Pioneers has John's day by day journal. It tells of the death of his son William.
- Age at Departure: 34
- Head of Household
- 1900 Utah Census.
- Ann Ham Hickenlooper, Diary of Ann Ham Hickenlooper, wife of William Hanney Hickenlooper, crossed the plains with the first handcart co., arrived in Salt Lake City 26. Sept., 1856 and record of work done for the dead (Salt Lake City, Utah: Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1957).
- Edmund Ellsworth Emigrating Company papers, 1856, Folder contents: (1) Journal, 1856 June-September.
- "Emigrants for Utah," Deseret News, 6 August 1856, 8.
- Handcart Veterans Association. Handcart Veterans Association scrapbook, 1906-1914, folder 6.
- Handcart Veterans Association. Handcart Veterans Association scrapbook, 1906-1914, folder 7.
- John Oakley journal excerpt, 1856 June-August.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 26 September 1856, 27.
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger A, p. 248.
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger B, p. 162.
- Saints By Sea: Latter-Day Saint Immigration to America
- Utah Death Certificates.
- Walters, Archer, Diary 1856 Mar.-Sept., 9-16.