- Birth Date
- 13 April 1822
- Death Date
- 21 October 1891
William Albert Ashton
The family sailed to America in 1856 on the ship Horizon. William left the company at Fort Laramie and joined the Johnston's army. He completed his journey to the Valley with the army in the spring of 1858.
- Age at Departure: 34
- Head of Household
- Age at Departure: 35
- Allen, Curtis, "Soldiers into Saints; Saints into Soldiers," Utah Genealogical Association Crossroads, vol. 4 (Dec. 2008), 175-176.
- Handcart Veterans Association. Handcart Veterans Association scrapbook, 1906-1914, folder 7.
- "Immigration to Utah," Deseret News, 15 October 1856, 254.
- Josiah Rogerson, "Martin's Handcart Company, 1856," Salt Lake Herald-Republican, 3 November 1907.
- Josiah Rogerson, "Strong Men, Brave Women and Sturdy Children Crossed the Wilderness Afoot," Salt Lake Tribune, 4 January 1914.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 30 November 1856, 7, 71.
- Patience L. Archer reminiscences, undated, 57-92.
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger B, p. 242.
- Saints By Sea: Latter-day Saint Immigration to America