- Birth Date
- 28 September 1834
- Death Date
- 6 April 1910
Samuel did not finish the trek with the Martin Company. He joined the Johnston's Army at Fort Laramie. He came into the Valley with them the spring of 1858.
- Age at Departure: 21
- Age at Departure: 22
- Age at Departure: 27
- Find a Grave (Website)
- Isaac A. Canfield Emigrating Company, Journal, 1862 July-Oct.
- Joseph W. Young, "Report of the Immigration," Deseret News, 17 September 1862, 93.
- Josiah Rogerson, "Martin's Handcart Company, 1856," Salt Lake Herald-Republican, 3 November 1907.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 16 October 1862, 16.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 30 November 1856, 69.
- Margetts, Lucy Marie Canfield, Diary, 1862 July-Oct.
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger B, p. 234.
- Saints By Sea: Latter-day Saint Immigration to America
- "Samuel Blackham," In Biographical Information Relating to Mormon Pioneer Overland Travel database.
- “Schedule of Captain Isaac A. Canfield’s Company (Independent), 1862.” In Brigham Young office emigrating companies reports 1850-1862, Reports 1856-1862. (CR 1234 5, Box 1, Folder 59)