- Birth Date
- 19 November 1813
- Death Date
- 31 March 1887
He sailed to America in 1843 on the ship Yorkshire. John first arrived in the Valley in 1848 with his wife Ann. At some point, he returned to the east because he is seen crossing the plains again in 1852 with the Outhouse Company. Company records indicate he was traveling with one other person. Further research is needed to identify exactly who that person was.
- Age at Departure: 34
- Head of Household
- Age at Departure: 38
- 1850 Utah Census.
- "4th Company," Deseret News, 18 September 1852, 2.
- "4th Company of 50 reports, 1852." In Brigham Young Office emigrating companies reports 1850-1862, Reports 1850-1852.
- "First 100, report, 1848 June," In Camp of Israel schedules and reports 1845-1849, Brigham Young's 1848 emigration division.
- Gailey, David S., Marlin and Laura Smedley Gailey: Their Ancestors and Their Children , 48.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Supplement after 31 December 1852, 20.
- Journal History of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Supplement after 31 December 1848, 4.
- [List of those filing for lots, 1848], in Salt Lake County Recorder's Office, Land records [ca. 1847-1860].
- Patriarchal Blessing Index, 1833-1971. (Closed to Research)