- Birth Date
- 18 October 1810
- Death Date
- November 1856
Luke is the brother of Ellen's deceased husband, John Carter.
He sailed to America in 1856 on the ship Horizon.
- Age at Departure: 45
- Head of Household
- Died en Route
- Handcart Veterans Association. Handcart Veterans Association scrapbook, 1906-1914, folder 7.
- Historians Office Record of Members (Minnie Margetts file).
- "Immigration to Utah," Deseret News, 15 October 1856, 254.
- Josiah Rogerson, "Martin's Handcart Company, 1856," Salt Lake Herald-Republican, 27 October 1907, 21.
- Josiah Rogerson, "Strong Men, Brave Women and Sturdy Children Crossed the Wilderness Afoot," Salt Lake Tribune, 4 January 1914.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 30 November 1856, 7, 67.
- Loynd, James, The Martin Handcart Company, 1926.
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger B, p. 256.
- Saints By Sea: Latter-day Saint Immigration to America