- Birth Date
- 8 February 1813
- Death Date
- 27 July 1890
Paul Gourley Sr.
Parish records verify Paul's birth year. Paul, his wife Ellison and children Nicholas, Janet, George, Paul and Margaret came on the ship Thornton in 1856. As Paul was a carpenter, the family tarried in Iowa City to help build handcarts and continued the journey in the Martin Company.
Their surname is "Goulley" on the 1860 Utah census.
- Age at Departure: 43
- Head of Household
- 1851 Scotland Census
- 1860 Utah Census, Utah County.
- "Immigration to Utah," Deseret News, 15 October 1856, 254.
- Jones, Albert William, Notes [ca. 1918].
- Josiah Rogerson, "Strong Men, Brave Women and Sturdy Children Crossed the Wilderness Afoot," Salt Lake Tribune, 4 January 1914.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 30 November 1856, 7, 75.
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger B, p. 212
- Saints By Sea: Latter-day Saint Immigration to America
- Teeples, Nicholus Gourley, [Interview], in "Utah Pioneer Biographies," 44 vols., 28:95-101, 105-6.
- Utah State History Cemeteries and Burials Database.
- William L. Spicer Binder biography and journal, undated, 8-19.