- Birth Date
- 17 March 1839
- Death Date
John James Hunter
John, with his parents James and Catherine Hunter, initially traveled with the Jesse Haven group as it traveled across Iowa. His family dropped out on August 1st. He and his brother, George, continued with the Martin Company.
The family sailed to America in 1856 on the ship Horizon.
- Age at Departure: 17
- "Immigration to Utah," Deseret News, 15 October 1856, 254.
- Jesse Haven journals, 1852-1892, folders 4-5. URL will open folder 4.
- Josiah Rogerson, "Strong Men, Brave Women and Sturdy Children Crossed the Wilderness Afoot," Salt Lake Tribune, 4 January 1914.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 30 November 1856, 7, 75.
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger B, p. 248.
- Saints By Sea: Latter-Day Saint Immigration to America