- Birth Date
- 18 November 1818
- Death Date
- 8 August 1882
Edward Martin initially traveled to the Salt Lake Valley with the Levi W. Hancock/Jefferson Hunt/James Pace/Andrew Lytle Company in 1847. He was the 3rd Corporal.
In 1848, he traveled with the Heber C. Kimball Company.
In 1856, he was Captain of the Edward Martin Company.
In 1863 he married Eliza Salmon in Salt Lake City. She had traveled on the ship Horizon in 1856 with Martin as the leader on board. It is often mistakenly thought that she continued with Martin in the handcart company all the way to Salt Lake City in 1856. She did not. Her Mexican War widow's petition claim affidavits explain that Eliza emigrated from England to St. Louis and married Thomas McCaughie (McCoy). Sometime after his death in 1859, between 1861 and 1863, she traveled on to Salt Lake with his daughter, Emma.
He sailed to America in 1856 on the ship Horizon.
- Age at Departure: 28
- Age at Departure: 29
- Head of Household
- Age at Departure: 37
- Company Captain
- 1850 Utah Census.
- Allred, Redick Newton, Journals, 1852-.
- Beecroft, Joseph, Journals 1844-1883, reel 3, vol. 6, 42-54.
- Binder, William Lawrence Spicer, Reminiscences [n.d.].
- Bleak, James Godson, Journal 1854 Feb.-1860 Feb.
- Broomhead, William, Diary, 1856 Oct-1857 Apr.
- Camp of Israel schedules and reports, 1845-1849.
- Cantwell, James, Autobiography, in Joel Edward Ricks, Cache Valley Historical Material [ca. 1955], reel 3, item 29.
- Clegg, Jonathan, [Report], 18 May 1897, in "Worthy of the Name: The Life and Times of Jonathan Clegg and His Wife Ellen Walmsley Clegg."
- Daniel Davis diaries, 1846-1892, Journal, 1846 May-1889 January, 90-101.
- "Death of Edward Martin," Deseret News [Weekly], 16 Aug. 1882, 465.
- Elizabeth H. Kingsford autobiographical sketch, undated.
- Elizabeth W. [Sermon] Camm letter, San Francisco, California, to My Dear Children, 1892 March 16.
- Elizabeth Whittear (Sermon) Camm reminiscence in Cache Valley historical material, circa 1955. Reel 4, Item 98, 2-8.
- First 100, schedules, 1848 July in Heber C. Kimball's 1848 emigration division in Camp of Israel schedules and reports, 1845-1849.
- Goodaker, Lydia Franklin, Autobiography, [ca. 1927], 6-7.
- Handcart Veterans Association. Handcart Veterans Association scrapbook, 1906-1914, folder 7.
- Jaques, John, [Diary], in Stella Jaques Bell, Life History and Writings of John Jaques , p. 84.
- Jaques, John, [Letter]. Latter-day Saints' Millennial Star, 28 June 1856, p. 411-413.
- John W. Southwell autobiographical sketch, 1912 September 28.
- John Watkins pioneer history, 1-5. Trail excerpt transcribed from "Pioneer History Collection" available at Pioneer Memorial Museum (Daughters of Utah Pioneers Museum), Salt Lake City, Utah. Some restrictions apply.
- Jones, Albert, Autobiography, in Mormon biographical sketches collection [ca. 1900-1975], reel 5, box 6, fd. 5, item 1.
- Jones, Albert William, Notes [ca. 1918].
- Joseph G. Hovey papers, 1845-1856, circa 1933, Autobiography, 1845-1856, 130-75.
- Josiah Rogerson, "Martin's Handcart Company, 1856," Salt Lake Herald-Republican, 10 November 1907.
- Josiah Rogerson, "Martin's Handcart Company, 1856," Salt Lake Herald-Republican, 17 November 1907, 14.
- Josiah Rogerson, "Martin's Handcart Company, 1856," Salt Lake Herald-Republican, 20 October 1907, 28.
- Josiah Rogerson, "Martin's Handcart Company, 1856," Salt Lake Herald-Republican, 27 October 1907, 21.
- Josiah Rogerson, "Martin's Handcart Company, 1856," Salt Lake Herald-Republican, 3 November 1907.
- Josiah Rogerson, "Strong Men, Brave Women and Sturdy Children Crossed the Wilderness Afoot," Salt Lake Tribune, 4 January 1914.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 30 November 1856, 7.
- Martin, Edward, to John Melling, Apr. 9, 1849, in Our Pioneer Heritage , 20 vols. [1958-77], 12:355-57.
- Mattinson, Robert, Reminiscences, in Frances Rushton Hutchens, Life stories of my ancestors 1996, 1-3.
- McBride, E. E., Autobiographical sketch, 1-4. (Trail excerpt transcribed from "Pioneer History Collection" available at Pioneer Memorial Museum [Daughters of Utah Pioneers Museum], Salt Lake City, Utah. Some restrictions apply.)
- Norton Jacob reminiscence and journal, 1844 May-1852 January, 110-115.
- Pioneer emigration list 1847-1848, 143, in Docket book 1844 Feb.-1845 May.
- Platt, Benjamin, Reminiscences, 1899-1905, 2-5.
- Ricketts, Norma Baldwin. The Mormon Battalion: U.S. Army of the West, 1846-1848, Logan, Utah: Utah State University Press, 1996, 23.
- Rogerson, Josiah, Reminiscence , 22-28.
- [Springfield] Daily Illinois State Register , 28 Feb. 1857, 3.
- Twelves, Orson, Early history of Charles Twelves and family, in Library of Congress, Collection of Mormon diaries [1935-1938], reel 9, item 4, 1.
- Tyler, Daniel, [Autobiographical sketch], in Autobiographical accounts by Beaver residents [ca. 1879], 51-52.
- Utah State History Cemeteries and Burials Database.
- Wadsworth, Joseph Warren, [Autobiography], in Abiah Wadsworth: His Wives and Family, 1810-1979 , 46.
- William L. Spicer Binder biography and journal, undated, 8-19.