- Birth Date
- 28 February 1807
- Death Date
- 8 December 1893
Samuel George Read
Samuel initially traveled with the Edward Martin Company in 1856, but he and his son, Samuel Milford Read dropped out of the company near Council Bluffs to search for his missing son, Walter. His wife and two daughters continued on at that time and Samuel finished his journey in 1859.
The family sailed to America in 1856 on the ship “Horizon.”
- Age at Departure: 49
- Head of Household
- Age at Departure: 51
- Andrew Jenson, "Arnold, Alicia Read," Latter-day Saint Biographical Encyclopedia, Volume 2 (Salt Lake City, Utah: The Andrew Jenson History Company, 1971), 493.
- Andrew Jenson, "Read, Walter Pyrimus," Latter-day Saint Biographical Encyclopedia: A Compilation of Biographical Sketches of Prominent Men and Women in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Volume 2 (Salt Lake City, Utah: The Andrew Jenson History Company, 1971), 494.
- "Another Old Timer Dead," Deseret Evening News , 8 Dec. 1893, 1.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- "Immigration to Utah," Deseret News, 15 October 1856, 254.
- Josiah Rogerson, "Strong Men, Brave Women and Sturdy Children Crossed the Wilderness Afoot," Salt Lake Tribune, 4 January 1914.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 30 November 1856, 7, 66.
- Mormon Trails Association, Utah Chapter Newsletter (fall 2002), p. [1-2]
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger B, p. 252.
- "Samuel George Read and His Family," in Treasures of Pioneer History , 6 vols. [1952-57], 5:269-70.
- Treasures of Pioneer History, Volume 5, p. 269-270.