- Birth Date
- 8 August 1848
- Death Date
- 30 August 1918
Walter Pyramus Read
Walter initially traveled with the Edward Martin Company in 1856. He was separated from the company near Council Bluffs and was missing for three months. He continued on in 1861 with his mother and sister, Thisbe, who had returned from Salt Lake to retrieve him.
The family sailed to America in 1856 on the ship "Horizon."
- Age at Departure: 7
- Age at Departure: 12
- 1900 Utah Census.
- Biographical Record of Salt Lake City and Vicinity (Chicago: National Historical Record Company, 1902), 143.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 30 November 1856, 66.
- Mormon Trails Association, Utah Chapter Newsletter (fall 2002), p. [1-2]
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger B, p. 252.
- "Read, Walter Pyrimus," [Biographical sketch], in Andrew Jenson, comp., Latter-day Saint Biographical Encyclopedia , 2:494.
- Treasures of Pioneer History, Volume 5, p. 269-270.
- Utah Death Certificates.
- "W. P. Read, Many Years Local Traction Head, Dies at Home Here," Deseret Evening News , 30 Aug. 1918, 1.