- Birth Date
- 4 May 1824
- Death Date
- 24 March 1887
Many sources for this family spell their name "Stones." James and his family is not related to Jonathan Stone who traveled with the company, even though some sources indicate that he was a grandfather to them. Evidence that he came in 1856 is confirmed in information found in 1857 Church financial records.
The family sailed to America in 1856 on the ship Horizon.
- Age at Departure: 32
- Head of Household
- Elizabeth W. [Sermon] Camm letter, San Francisco, California, to My Dear Children, 1892 March 16.
- Handcart Veterans Association. Handcart Veterans Association scrapbook, 1906-1914, folder 7.
- "Immigration to Utah," Deseret News, 15 October 1856, 254.
- Josiah Rogerson, "Strong Men, Brave Women and Sturdy Children Crossed the Wilderness Afoot," Salt Lake Tribune, 4 January 1914.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 30 November 1856, 7, 62.
- "Obituary" Ogden Standard, 29 March 1887, p. 3
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger B, p. 230
- Saints By Sea: Latter-day Saint Immigration to America
- Utah State History Cemeteries and Burials Database.