- Birth Date
- 24 November 1813
- Death Date
- 4 September 1887
James Sherlock Cantwell
He traveled with Willie Company until Fort Laramie at which point he then traveled with the Hodgetts Company.
- Age at Departure: 42
- Head of Household
- Cantwell, James, Autobiography, in Joel Edward Ricks, Cache Valley Historical Material [ca. 1955], reel 3, item 29.
- Cantwell, James Sherlock, Autobiography, reel 3, item 30, 1-3.
- Cantwell, James to S. S. Jones, Handcart Veterans Association, 28 Sep. 1906. Handcart Veterans Association, Scrapbook, 1906-1914f, fd 2.
- "Immigration to Utah," Deseret News, 15 October 1856, 254.
- James G. Willie Emigrating Company journal, 1856 May-November, 16-53.
- Josiah Rogerson, "Captain J. G. Willie's Or, the Fourth Handcart Company of 1856," Salt Lake Herald-Republican, 5 January 1908.
- Josiah Rogerson, "Strong Men, Brave Women and Sturdy Children Crossed the Wilderness Afoot," Salt Lake Tribune, 4 January 1914.
- Marilyn Austin Smith, Faithful Stewards--the Life of James Gray Willie and Elizabeth Ann Pettit, 95-120.
- "Synopsis of the Fourth Hand Cart Company's Trip from England to G.S.L. City in 1856." In Historian's Office history of the Church, 1839-circa 1882, 9 November 1856, 966-83.
- Woodward, William, Journal, in Utah State Historical Society Cache Valley Chapter, Historical resource materials for Cache Valley, Utah-Idaho, 1955-1956, reel 4, item 2e.