- Birth Date
- 23 November 1831
- Death Date
- 26 October 1914
Captain of Hundred.
He sailed to America in 1856 on the ship Thornton.
- Age at Departure: 24
- Chislett, John, [Reminiscences], in Handcart Stories, 7-10.
- Illinois Statewide Death Index, Pre-1916.
- "Immigration to Utah," Deseret News, 15 October 1856, 254.
- James G. Willie Emigrating Company journal, 1856 May-November, 16-53.
- John Chislett "Narrative" in The Rocky Mountain Saints: A Full and Complete History of the Mormons by Thomas B. H. Stenhouse (1873), 313-32.
- Josiah Rogerson, "Captain J. G. Willie's Or, the Fourth Handcart Company of 1856," Salt Lake Herald-Republican, 5 January 1908.
- Josiah Rogerson, "Captain J. G. Willie's Or, the Fourth Handcart Company of 1856 (No. 1)," Salt Lake Herald, 15 December 1907, 5.
- Josiah Rogerson, "Strong Men, Brave Women and Sturdy Children Crossed the Wilderness Afoot," Salt Lake Tribune, 4 January 1914.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 9 November 1856, 18.
- Levi Savage journal, 1855 March-1858 October.
- Marilyn Austin Smith, Faithful Stewards--the Life of James Gray Willie and Elizabeth Ann Pettit, 95-120.
- Mary Burton Shrewsbury (pseudonym), "Reminiscence" in "Tell It All": The Story of a Life's Experience in Mormonism by Fanny W. Stenhouse (1874), 206-36. According to Ron Walker, John Chislett is actual author. See: Journal of Mormon History 1 (1974): 64.
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger B, p. 228.
- "Synopsis of the Fourth Hand Cart Company's Trip from England to G.S.L. City in 1856." In Historian's Office history of the Church, 1839-circa 1882, 9 November 1856, 966-83.
- William Woodward journal in Historical resource materials for Cache Valley, Utah-Idaho, 1955-1956.
- William Woodward letter to Joseph F. Smith, 1907, in Utah State Historical Society Cache Valley Chapter in Historical resource materials for Cache Valley, Utah-Idaho, 1955-1956.
- Woodward, W., to Albert Jones, Handcart Veterans Association, 12 Sep. 1906. Handcart Veterans Association, Scrapbook, 1906-1914, fd. 2.
- Woodward, William, to Wilford Woodruff, 17 Feb. 1857, in [Papers and rosters relating to emigration companies] 1846-1860s.