- Christening Date
- 18 October 1789
- Death Date
- 23 October 1856
Chesterton John Gilman
His surname was spelled Gilman on the roster. A small memorial marker at Rock Creek Hollow lists his age as 66. His actual christening date shows that he was really much older. Family stories say he lowered his age in order to be permitted to emigrate and travel in a handcart company.
He sailed to America in 1856 on the ship Thornton.
In some sources his name is listed as "John Chesterton Gilman," and in others it is "Chesterton John Gilman."
- Age at Departure: 66
- Died en Route
- England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
- "Immigration to Utah," Deseret News, 15 October 1856, 254.
- James G. Willie Emigrating Company journal, 1856 May-November, 16-53.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 9 November 1856, 2.
- Marilyn Austin Smith, Faithful Stewards--the Life of James Gray Willie and Elizabeth Ann Pettit, 95-120.
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund Company financial accounts, 1849-1886, B, 1854-1867, 204.