- Birth Date
- 4 August 1814
- Death Date
The family sailed to America in 1856 on the ship Thornton. The ship manifest shows his name as "Niels Hansen." The family left the company at Council Bluffs.
- Age at Departure: 41
- Head of Household
- "Immigration to Utah," Deseret News, 15 October 1856, 254.
- Josiah Rogerson, "Captain J. G. Willie's Or, the Fourth Handcart Company of 1856 (No. 1)," Salt Lake Herald, 15 December 1907, 5.
- Josiah Rogerson, "Strong Men, Brave Women and Sturdy Children Crossed the Wilderness Afoot," Salt Lake Tribune, 4 January 1914.
- Peder Madsen diary, 1856 April-September translated by Don H. Smith, 19-29.
- Saints By Sea: Latter-day Saint Immigration to America