- Birth Date
- 28 February 1808
- Death Date
- 24 October 1856
The family sailed to America in 1856 on the ship Thornton. Their youngest child, Jane James, born 9 September 1855, died during their ocean voyage.
- Age at Departure: 48
- Head of Household
- Died en Route
- Dixon, Loleta Wiscombe, [Willie Handcart Company and William James].
- "Immigration to Utah," Deseret News, 15 October 1856, 254.
- James G. Willie Emigrating Company journal, 1856 May-November, 16-53.
- Josiah Rogerson, "Captain J. G. Willie's Or, the Fourth Handcart Company of 1856 (No. 1)," Salt Lake Herald, 15 December 1907, 5.
- Josiah Rogerson, "Strong Men, Brave Women and Sturdy Children Crossed the Wilderness Afoot," Salt Lake Tribune, 4 January 1914.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, November 1856, 24.
- Marilyn Austin Smith, Faithful Stewards--the Life of James Gray Willie and Elizabeth Ann Pettit, 95-120.
- Mary Ann James Dangerfield, Autobiographical sketch, reel 4, box 4, fd. 10, item 1, 2-3.
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger A, p. 293.
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger B, p. 216.
- Saints By Sea: Latter-day Saint Immigration to America