- Birth Date
- 17 December 1809
- Death Date
- 25 March 1905
John Alexander Jost
The family joined the Hodgett Company at Ft. Laramie. Their travel to Utah is mentioned in the obituaries of the sons Thomas William Jost and Samuel E. Jost.
His birth and death dates are confirmed by his death certificate and the inscription on his gravestone.
- Age at Departure: 46
- Head of Household
- 1860 Utah Census.
- Cantwell, James, Autobiography, in Joel Edward Ricks, Cache Valley Historical Material [ca. 1955], reel 3, item 29.
- Cantwell, James Sherlock, Autobiography, reel 3, item 30, 1-3.
- Cantwell, James to S. S. Jones, Handcart Veterans Association, 28 Sep. 1906. Handcart Veterans Association, Scrapbook, 1906-1914f, fd 2.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- "Immigration to Utah," Deseret News, 15 October 1856, 254.
- James G. Willie Emigrating Company journal, 1856 May-November, 16-53.
- Joseph B. Elder journals, 1856-1857; 1871-1879, 21-28.
- Marilyn Austin Smith, Faithful Stewards--the Life of James Gray Willie and Elizabeth Ann Pettit, 95-120.
- "Pioneer of Ogden is Dead," Ogden Standard Examiner, 22 Oct. 1922, 26.
- "Thos. W. Jost Dies at the Home of His Daughter," Ogden Standard, 19 Feb. 1917, 6.
- Utah Death Certificates.
- Woodward, William, Journal, in Utah State Historical Society Cache Valley Chapter, Historical resource materials for Cache Valley, Utah-Idaho, 1955-1956, reel 4, item 2e.