- Birth Date
- 28 August 1808
- Death Date
- 21 October 1856
The family sailed to America in 1856 on the ship Thornton. John died at the Sixth Crossing of the Sweetwater River in Wyoming.
- Age at Departure: 47
- Head of Household
- Died en Route
- "Immigration to Utah," Deseret News, 15 October 1856, 254.
- James G. Willie Emigrating Company journal, 1856 May-November, 16-53.
- Josiah Rogerson, "Strong Men, Brave Women and Sturdy Children Crossed the Wilderness Afoot," Salt Lake Tribune, 4 January 1914.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 9 November 1856, 21.
- Linford, Amasa Christian, [Autobiography], in James Henry Linford, Autobiography of James Henry Linford , 63-67.
- Linford, John, Diary 1856 Apr.-May, fd. 1, fd. 2.
- Marilyn Austin Smith, Faithful Stewards--the Life of James Gray Willie and Elizabeth Ann Pettit, 95-120.
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger B, p. 206.
- Rogerson, Josiah. "Captain J. G. Willie's Or, the Fourth Handcart Company of 1856 [No. 1]," Salt Lake Herald, 15 December 1907, .
- Saints By Sea: Latter-day Saint Immigration to America