- Birth Date
- 24 August 1804
- Death Date
- 15 June 1889
Margery May Bain
Margery May Smith,
Margery May McEwan
She was the widow of Alexander Nichol Smith and she came with her children from Scotland. Her son Robert Angus Bain came from Utah and met the family at Green River with a wagon and continued on with the company. The company she traveled with was noted in local church financial records. Later in her life she was called Mary or May.
The family sailed to America in 1856 on the ship Thornton.
- Age at Departure: 51
- Head of Household
- 1860 Utah Census.
- 1880 Utah Census.
- "Gone to rest," Southern Utonian , 20 June 1889.
- Goodwin, Betsey Smith, "The Tired Mother: Pioneer Recollections," Improvement Era, July 1919, 775-81.
- Goodwin, Betsy Smith, "Handcart Speech," Woman's Exponent , 1 Sept. 1888, 51.
- Handcart Veterans Association. Handcart Veterans Association scrapbook, 1906-1914, folder 7.
- "Immigration to Utah," Deseret News, 15 October 1856, 254.
- Josiah Rogerson, "Strong Men, Brave Women and Sturdy Children Crossed the Wilderness Afoot," Salt Lake Tribune, 4 January 1914.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 9 November 1856, 25.
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger B, p. 226.
- Rogerson, Josiah. "Captain J. G. Willie's Or, the Fourth Handcart Company of 1856 [No. 1]," Salt Lake Herald, 15 December 1907, .
- Utah State History Cemeteries and Burials Database.