- Birth Date
- 4 January 1833
- Death Date
- 22 November 1908
William initially traveled to the Salt Lake Valley as a teamster with the John Reese Freight Train in 1851.
In 1856, at the end of a mission, William traveled home with the James G. Willie Company. He was a leader of a hundred.
- Age at Departure: 18
- Age at Departure: 23
- Bennett, Margaret, [Interview] in "Utah Pioneer Biographies," 44 vols., 5:7-10.
- George Cunningham journal, 1876; 1885 August-1886 January, Reminiscences, 1876, 2-5.
- Handcart Veterans Association. Handcart Veterans Association scrapbook, 1906-1914, folder 6.
- Handcart Veterans Association. Handcart Veterans Association scrapbook, 1906-1914, folder 7.
- "Handcart Vets Hold Reunion," Deseret Evening News, 3 October 1907, 11.
- "Immigration to Utah," Deseret News, 15 October 1856, 254.
- James G. Willie Emigrating Company journal, 1856 May-November, 16-53.
- John Chislett "Narrative" in The Rocky Mountain Saints: A Full and Complete History of the Mormons by Thomas B. H. Stenhouse (1873), 313-32.
- Josiah Rogerson, "Captain J. G. Willie's Or, the Fourth Handcart Company of 1856," Salt Lake Herald-Republican, 5 January 1908.
- Josiah Rogerson, "Strong Men, Brave Women and Sturdy Children Crossed the Wilderness Afoot," Salt Lake Tribune, 4 January 1914.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 9 November 1856, 18.
- Levi Savage journal, 1855 March-1858 October.
- Marilyn Austin Smith, Faithful Stewards--the Life of James Gray Willie and Elizabeth Ann Pettit, 95-120.
- Mary Burton Shrewsbury (pseudonym), "Reminiscence" in "Tell It All": The Story of a Life's Experience in Mormonism by Fanny W. Stenhouse (1874), 206-36. According to Ron Walker, John Chislett is actual author. See: Journal of Mormon History 1 (1974): 64.
- Rogerson, Josiah. "Captain J. G. Willie's Or, the Fourth Handcart Company of 1856 [No. 1]," Salt Lake Herald, 15 December 1907, .
- "Synopsis of the Fourth Hand Cart Company's Trip from England to G.S.L. City in 1856." In Historian's Office history of the Church, 1839-circa 1882, 9 November 1856, 966-83.
- William Woodward, "In Early Days," Juvenile Instructor, 15 July 1896, 415.
- William Woodward letter to Joseph F. Smith, 1907, in Utah State Historical Society Cache Valley Chapter in Historical resource materials for Cache Valley, Utah-Idaho, 1955-1956.
- Woodward, W., to Albert Jones, Handcart Veterans Association, 12 Sep. 1906. Handcart Veterans Association, Scrapbook, 1906-1914, fd. 2.
- [Woodward, William], Reminiscences, 8-10, box 2, fd. 4, in William Woodward, Collection 1851-1919.
- Woodward, William, Journal, in Utah State Historical Society Cache Valley Chapter, Historical resource materials for Cache Valley, Utah-Idaho, 1955-1956, reel 4, item 2e.
- Woodward, William, Notes, in Utah State Historical Society Cache Valley Chapter, Historical resource materials for Cache Valley, Utah-Idaho, 1955-1956, reel 4, item 2.
- Woodward, William, to Wilford Woodruff, 17 Feb. 1857, in [Papers and rosters relating to emigration companies] 1846-1860s.