- Birth Date
- 13 December 1802
- Death Date
- 22 April 1872
Daniel served as captain of fifty in Young's 1848 company. Several years later, he captained his own company, assisting emigrationts make the journey across the plains.
Sometime after 1860 he began using the surname of "Garn" rather than "Carn." Another variation of his surname is "Cairn."
- Age at Departure: 45
- Head of Household
- Age at Departure: 51
- Company Captain
- 1850 Utah Census, Salt Lake County.
- A Mormon chronicle: the Diaries of John D. Lee, 1848-1876 edited and annotated by Robert Glass Cleland and Juanita Brooks (1955), 1:30-79.
- Alexander Neibaur journal, 1841 February-1862 April, 26-38.
- Davies, John Johnson, Transcription of journal, 9-14. (Trail excerpt transcribed from "Pioneer History Collection" available at Pioneer Memorial Museum [Daughters of Utah Pioneers Museum], Salt Lake City, Utah. Some restrictions apply.)
- Empey, William to Brigham Young, 23 June 1854, in Brigham Young, Office Files 1832-1878, box 23, fd. 12.
- First 100, report, 1848 June.
- Heart Throbs of the West, vol. 12, p. 140
- Holbrook, Joseph, History of Joseph Holbrook 1977, 59-60.
- Hosea Stout reminiscences and journals, 1845-1869, Volume 3, 376-79, and, Volume 4, 1-41.
- "Immigration," St. Louis Luminary , 2 Dec. 1854, 6.
- Joseph Holbrook autobiography and journal, circa 1860-1871, 145-47.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Supplement after 31 December 1848, 2.
- Miller, Allen, Autobiographical sketch 1898-1912, [1-2].
- Missionary Database
- Rees, Watkin, Reminiscences, 8-12, in Watkin Rees, Papers [ca. 1880-1905].
- Saints By Sea: Latter-day Saint Immigration to America
- Thomas Bullock journals, 1843-1849, Journal, 1848 May-September.