- Birth Date
- 12 August 1837
- Death Date
- 29 March 1909
Samuel emigrated from England in 1856 on the ship Horizon. His surname is written as "Bettel" in Journal History. His birth date and death date are confirmed by his death certificate.
He married Agnes Hislop in 1860 in Florence, Nebraska.
- Age at Departure: 18
- Age at Departure: 22
- Head of Household
- 1870 Utah Census, Weber County.
- 1900 Utah Census.
- Daughters of Utah Pioneers. History of Utah's Tooele County: From the Edge of the Great Basin Frontier (Tooele, UT: Transcript Bulletin Publishing, Inc., 2012).
- Find a Grave (Website)
- "Immigration to Utah," Deseret News, 15 October 1856, 254.
- Jesse Haven journals, 1852-1892, folders 4-5. URL will open folder 4.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 15 December 1856, 4.
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger B, p. 278.
- Saints By Sea: Latter-Day Saint Immigration to America
- Utah Death Certificate Index, 1905-1967.
- “W. B. Hodgetts Company report, 1856.” In Brigham Young office emigrating companies reports 1850-1862, Reports 1856-1862. (CR 1234 5, Box 1, Folder 48)