- Birth Date
- 13 May 1831
- Death Date
- 18 August 1860
William Benjamin Hodgetts
William’s obituary says he first arrived in Utah in 1852. Further research is needed to determine the name of the Pioneer Company with which he traveled.
At the end of a mission, William traveled home with his sister, Emily Teresa, as captain of the William B. Hodgetts Company. His travel to Utah is mentioned in his sister’s obituary.
- Age at Departure: 20
- Age at Departure: 25
- Company Captain
- Head of Household
- Billion Graves (Website)
- Cantwell, James, Autobiography, in Joel Edward Ricks, Cache Valley Historical Material [ca. 1955], reel 3, item 29.
- Dan Jones Emigrating Company journal, 1856 May-December.
- "Death of Elder Hodgetts," Deseret News [Weekley], 22 Aug. 1860, 197.
- "Died," Deseret News, 22 August 1860, 197.
- England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
- Handcart Veterans Association. Handcart Veterans Association scrapbook, 1906-1914, folder 7.
- Historical Department journal history of the Church, 1896-2001, 15 December 1856, 16-37.
- Hodgetts, Emily, Autobiographical sketch, item 3, 37-39, in Daughters of Utah Pioneers, Garfield County Chapter, Biographies and History of Garfield County Pioneers.
- Jesse Haven journals, 1852-1892, folders 4-5.
- John Bond, Handcarts West in '56.
- Josiah Rogerson, "Strong Men, Brave Women and Sturdy Children Crossed the Wilderness Afoot," Salt Lake Tribune, 4 January 1914.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 15 December 1856, 2.
- Lowder, Emily Hodgetts, Reminiscences, 5. Trail excerpt transcribed from "Pioneer History Collection" available at Pioneer Memorial Museum [Daughters of Utah Pioneers Museum], Salt Lake City, Utah. Some restrictions apply.
- Missionary Database
- "Oldest Resident of Southern Utah Passes at Age of 102," Garfield County News, 28 January 1943, 1.
- Orson F. Whitey, History of Utah: in Four Volumes, Volume 4 (Salt Lake City, Utah: George Q. Cannon & Sons Co., Publishers, 1904), 121.
- Our Pioneer Heritage, vol. 7, 424.
- Porter, Nathan Tanner, Reminiscences [ca. 1879], 94-99 or 225-33.
- Stella Jaques Bell, Life History and Writings of John Jaques: Including a Diary of the Martin Handcart Company (Rexburg, Idaho: Ricks College Press, 1978), 118-22, 129, 134-37, 140-41, 143-44, 150.
- Utah, Territorial Militia Records, 1849-1877.
- W. B. Hodgetts Company report, 1856.