- Birth Date
- 5 April 1830
- Death Date
- 4 March 1894
Carl Christian Nikolai Dorius
Carl initially traveled to the Salt Lake Valley with the Christian Christiansen Company in 1857 as a Captain of a division. He traveled with his wife, Ellen Gurinda Rolfson, and her mother and sister, his brother, John Frederick Ferdinand Dorius, his wife, Karen Frantzen, and her parents and brother. The Frandzen, Dorius, and Rolfsen families sailed from Liverpool on the "Westmoreland" on 25 April 1857. They arrived in Philadelphia on 31 May 1857.
At the end of a mission, Carl traveled home with the Peter Nebeker Company in 1863 as indicated in his own writings.
Note: The Dorius diary is written in Danish.
- Age at Departure: 27
- Head of Household
- Age at Departure: 33
- Returning Missionary
- C. C. A. Christensen, "By Handcart to Utah: The Account of C. C. A. Christensen," translated by Richard L. Jensen, Nebraska History 66 (1985): 332-48.
- Dorius, C. C. N., [Journal], in Earl N. Dorius, The Dorius Heritage , 107.
- Dorius, C. C. N., [Reminiscences], in Our Pioneer Heritage, 20 vols. [1958-77], 2:262.
- Dorius, C. C. N., Autobiography of Carl Christian Nicoli Dorius, 19-21. (Trail excerpt transcribed from "Pioneer History Collection" available at Pioneer Memorial Museum [Daughters of Utah Pioneers Museum], Salt Lake City, Utah. Some restrictions apply.)
- Dorius, C. C. N., Autobiography of Carl Christian Nicoli Dorius, 31-32. (Trail excerpt transcribed from "Pioneer History Collection" available at Pioneer Memorial Museum [Daughters of Utah Pioneers Museum], Salt Lake City, Utah. Some restrictions apply.)
- Dorius, Carl C. N., Letter, in Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 24 Sept. 1863, 1.
- Dorius, Carl Christian Nikolai, Diary, 1860 May-1893 Apr., 279-81. [written mostly in Danish]
- Dorius, Johan F. F., [Journal], in "Church Emigration Book."
- Find a Grave (Website)
- Handcart Veterans Association. Handcart Veterans Association scrapbook, 1906-1914, folder 6.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 13 September 1857, 25.
- Lever, W. H. History of Sanpete and Emery Counties, Utah: With Sketches of Cities, Towns, and Villages; Chronology of Important Events; Records of Indian Wars; Portraits of Prominent Persons, and Biographies of Representative Citizens (Salt Lake City: Tribune Job Printing Co, 1898), 308
- Lund, Anthon H. Scandinavian Jubilee Album (Salt Lake City: Deseret News, 1900).
- Missionary Department Missionary Registers, 1860-1959, Volume 1.
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund Ledger Index, [1992, 2013].
- Saints By Sea: Latter-day Saint Immigration to America