- Birth Date
- 19 December 1828
- Death Date
- 19 November 1907
The Ashby family traveled to the Salt Lake Valley with the Brigham Young Company in 1848. The Ashby family included Susan Hammond Ashby Noble and her children Benjamin, Elizabeth Rebecca Ashby Snow (wife of Erastus Snow), Harriett Maria, Nathaniel, Richard Hammond, William Hardin, Mary Jane, Emma Smith, and John Jefford.
At the end of a mission to England, Benjamin returned home with the Israel Evans Company in 1857. He served as assistant Captain.
- Age at Departure: 19
- Age at Departure: 28
- "Arrival and Latest News," Deseret News [Weekly], 19 Aug. 1857, 188.
- Ashby, Benjamin [biographical sketch], Handcart Veterans Association. Handcart Veterans Association, Scrapbook 1906-1914, fd. 5.
- Ashby Ancestry, p. 22
- Beck, Margaret Simmons Bennett, Sketch of Life of Margaret Simmons Bennett Beck, 3-4. Trail excerpt transcribed from "Pioneer History Collection" available at Pioneer Memorial Museum [Daughters of Utah Pioneers Museum], Salt Lake City, Utah. Some restrictions apply.
- Benjamin Ashby autobiography, circa 1897-1904, 25-30.
- Charles Neal autobiographical sketch, 1913.
- "First 100, report, 1848 June" in Camp of Israel schedules and reports 1845-1849, Brigham Young's 1848 emigration division.
- Fishburn, Robert Leeming, "Pioneer Autobiographies," in Chronicles of Courage, 8 vols. [1990-97], 2:204-8.
- Griffith Roberts reminiscence and diary, circa 1865, 19-21.
- “Hand Cart Veteran Summoned," Davis County Clipper, 22 Nov. 1907, 1.
- Morgan, Evan Samuel. Diary of Evan Samuel Morgan.
- Susan M. Witbeck autobiographical sketch, circa 1898, 5-7.
- Utah Death Certificate Index, 1905-1967.
- William L. Hutchings diary, 1857-1877, 10.