- Birth Date
- 2 December 1829
- Death Date
- 5 June 1864
Born in Kirkbraddan, Isle of Mann. He joined the Church in 1843 and his family immigrated to Nauvoo. His reminiscences tell amazing stories of endurance and faith during his time before traveling to the Salt Lake Valley.
Matthias initially traveled to the Salt Lake Valley in the Henry W. Miller Company in 1852, and was a teamster for Orson Hyde the entire way, as indicated in his Reminiscences.
On June 22, 1853, Matthias left for a mission in Europe with 28 men, 7 wagons, and 23 animals as indicated in his reminiscences.
At the end of his mission to Europe, he traveled home as captain of the Matthias Cowley Company in 1857 as indicated by Anna Christina Jensen McRae's Reminiscences and an article in the Arkansas State Gazette and Democrat on 20 June 1857.
- Age at Departure: 22
- Age at Departure: 27
- Company Captain
- Carling, Isaac V., [Diary], in Elda Mortenson, comp., Isaac V. Carling Family History , vol. 1, 48-55.
- Cowley, Matthias, Reminiscences, 1856, 7.
- Liljenquist, Ole Nielsen, "Autobiography of Bishop O. N. Liljenquist, One of the Fathers of the Scandinavian Mission," Tullidge's Quarterly Magazine , July 1881, 571; ibid., Morgenstijernen , 1883, 25-32, 37-46.
- McRae, Anna Christina Jensen, Reminiscences, 2-3.
- Morgenstjernen, 1883, p. 25-32, 37-46
- "Passage of Mormons," Arkansas State Gazette and Democrat , 20 June 1857.
- Richards, S. W. and Briant Stringam, 18 Aug. 1857, in Brigham Young, Office Files 1832-1878, reel 35, box 25, fd. 23.
- Sorensen, Isaac, [Journal], Utah Historical Quarterly, 1956, 52-53, 60.