- Birth Date
- 6 February 1816
- Death Date
- 6 September 1888
Horace Sunderlin Eldredge
The Eldredge family traveled to the Salt Lake Valley in 1848 with the Brigham Young Company. The family consisted of Horace Sunderlin and Betsy Ann Chase and their daughters Lurana and Mary Aurelia. Horace was the company Marshal.
In 1854, Horace was the Assistant Captain of the Orson Pratt/Ezra T. Benson/Ira Eldredge Company. In 1852, he was assigned to preside over the St. Louis Missouri conference and act as a general emigration agent.
In 1857, he returned to St. Louis and performed his previous duties. Horace traveled home as Captain of the Horace S. Eldredge Company in 1858.
In 1859, Horace traveled to the Salt Lake Valley with the Horton D. Haight/Frederick Kesler Freight Train. He arrived in the Salt Lake Valley on 16 August 1859.
- Age at Departure: 32
- Head of Household
- Age at Departure: 38
- Age at Departure: 40
- Age at Departure: 42
- Age at Departure: 43
- A Mormon chronicle: the diaries of John D. Lee, 1848-1876 edited and annotated by Robert Glass Cleland and Juanita Brooks (1955), 1:30-79.
- Alexander, Sara, Crossing the plains in 1859, 1-7.
- Burton, Robert Taylor, Diaries 1856-1907, Record book, circa 1856 October-November.
- Church Emigration Book
- "Death of General Horace S. Eldredge," Deseret News, 12 September 1888, 552.
- Eldredge, Horace S., "Autobiography of Horace S. Eldredge: Sketches from His Log Book and Reminiscences of Earlier Days," Tullidge's Quarterly Magazine , Apr. 1881, 410.
- Esshom, Frank. Pioneers and Prominent Men of Utah, (Salt Lake City: Utah Pioneers Book Publishing Company, 1913), 856.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- "First 100, report, 1848 June," In Camp of Israel schedules and reports 1845-1849, Brigham Young's 1848 emigration division.
- Gibson, Jacob, Book of the generations of Jacob Gibson 1849-1881, [76-77].
- Horace S. Eldredge Emigrating Company journal, 1859 May-September.
- Jansen, Anton Andersen, Diaries, 1855-1875, fd. 2, 97-101.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Supplement after 31 December 1848, 1.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Supplement after 31 December 1854, 15.
- Knud Svendsen reminiscence and journal, 1856 December-1860 April.
- Lund, Hans Peter, Journals, 1854-1880, 29.
- Madsen, Christian to Brother Widerborg, 25 July 1858, in Frederick Hale, ed., Danes in North America , .
- Missionary Department Missionary Registers, 1860-1959, Volume 1.
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger A, p. 99.
- Pratt, Orson, et. al., to Brigham Young, 8 Aug. 1854, in Brigham Young, Office Files 1832-1878, reel 54, box 41, fd. 2.
- Pratt, Orson, to Brigham Young, 29 June 1854, in Brigham Young, Office Files 1832-1878, reel 54, box 41, fd. 2.
- Stoddard, Oscar Orlando, Journals and record book, 1856-1860 and 1883, [130...].