- Birth Date
- 12 February 1821
- Death Date
- 22 June 1896
William initially traveled to the Salt Lake Valley in the Brigham Young Pioneer Company in 1847 and was part of the 7th Company of Ten led by James Case. However, he later participated as one of the rescuers that were sent out in the winter of 1856 to assist the members of the Church stranded in Wyoming.
At the end of a mission to Quebec, he traveled home with his friends Robert Gardner and David Brinton with the John W. Berry Company in 1858 as indicated in a biography compiled by Alaine Gardner Bracken on familysearch.org.
His surname is "Carlin" in the Goddard journal. In some sources his birth month is listed as September, but that is incorrect.
His birth date and death date are confirmed by the inscriptions on his gravestone.
- Age at Departure: 26
- Age at Departure: 35
- Age at Departure: 37
- "A Pioneer Gone," Salt Lake Herald-Republican, 24 June 1896, 6.
- Albert P. Rockwood journals, 1847-1853, Journal, 1847 April-July.
- Brinton, David, to Brigham Young, 20 June 1858, in Brigham Young, Office Files 1832-1878, reel 36, box 26, fd. 5.
- Bullock, Thomas, to Editor, 22 July 1858, in Missionary Reports, fd. 17.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- Gardner, Robert, Diaries and reminiscences, 1857-1887, item 4, 88-92.
- George Goddard papers, 1855-1899, Journals, Volume 2, 1857 April-1858 July.
- Heber C. Kimball journal in Heber C. Kimball papers, 1837-1866.
- Hodgetts, Emily, Autobiographical sketch, item 3, 37-39, in Daughters of Utah Pioneers, Garfield County Chapter, Biographies and History of Garfield County Pioneers.
- Isaiah M. Coombs collection, 1835-1938, Diaries, Volume 8, 1858 April 13-1858 September 1, 16-66.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, June 1858, 31.
- Missionary Record Index
- Our Pioneer Heritage, vol. 2, p. 551
- Thomas Bullock journal, 1858 May-June.
- Thomas Bullock journals, 1843-1849, Journal, 1847 April-June.
- Welchman, Arthur P., Reminiscences and diary, [ca.1854-1917], fd. 1, 93-94.
- Wilford Woodruff journal, 1847 January-1853 December in Wilford Woodruff journals and papers, 1828-1898, 25-77.
- William Clayton diaries, 1846-1853, Folder contents: (2) Volume 2, 1847.