- Birth Date
- 22 June 1798
- Death Date
- 24 April 1861
The Galley family traveled to the Salt Lake Valley with the Claudius V. Spencer Company in 1853. The Galley family included James and his wife Ann Whittaker, and their children Martha, Samuel, Mary, James Henry, and Sarah Ann. James was a Captain of Ten.
At the end of a mission, James returned home with the John W. Berry Company in 1858. Isaiah Moses Coombs diary refers to him as “Father Galley.”
ENGLAND BIRTHS AND CHRISTENINGS, 1538-1975 confirm his birth date as 22 Jun 1798.
- Age at Departure: 54
- Head of Household
- Age at Departure: 58
- Arthur, Christopher Jones, Autobiography, in Library of Congress, Collection of Mormon Diaries [1935-1938], reel 1, item 4, 2:6-7.
- Bullock, Thomas, to Brigham Young, 26 June 1858, in Brigham Young, Office Files 1832-1878, reel 36, box 26, fd. 5.
- Bullock, Thomas, to Editor, 22 July 1858, in Missionary Reports, fd. 17.
- “Claudius V. Spencer Company report, 1853.” In Brigham Young office emigrating companies reports 1850-1862, Reports 1853-1855. (CR 1234 5, Box 1, Folder 31)
- George Goddard papers, 1855-1899, Journals, Volume 2, 1857 April-1858 July.
- Isaiah M. Coombs collection, 1835-1938, Diaries, Volume 8, 1858 April 13-1858 September 1, 16-66.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, June 1858, 31.
- Missionary Record Index
- Thomas Bullock journal, 1858 May-June.
- Welchman, Arthur P., Reminiscences and diary, [ca.1854-1917], fd. 1, 93-94.