- Birth Date
- 26 April 1820
- Death Date
- 4 September 1897
William Joseph Smith
The Smith family traveled to the Salt Lake Valley with the Samuel Gully/Orson Spencer Company in 1849. The Smith family included William Joseph and his wife Mary Ann Frier, and their children William and Samuel Frier. The family’s travel to Utah is mentioned in Mary Ann’s obituary. Sources indicate that 6 people traveled with William Joseph; however, further research is needed to determine who else outside of his wife and children traveled with their family.
At the end of a mission, William returned home with the John W. Berry Company in 1858. He served as Sergeant of the Guard.
Note: A William Smith is mentioned in the Bullock Journal, but there are two men in this company with the same name.
- Age at Departure: 29
- Age at Departure: 38
- Bullock, Thomas, to Brigham Young, 26 June 1858, in Brigham Young, Office Files 1832-1878, reel 36, box 26, fd. 5.
- Bullock, Thomas, to Editor, 22 July 1858, in Missionary Reports, fd. 17.
- "Death Calls Early Pioneer. Mary Ann Frier Smith Dies After Residence in Utah Since 1849," Salt Lake Herald , 10 Mar. 1909, 12.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- George Goddard papers, 1855-1899, Journals, Volume 2, 1857 April-1858 July.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 21 June 1858, 32.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Supplement after 31 December 1849, 2.
- Miller, Reuben, to Brigham Young, 9 Sept. 1849, in Brigham Young, Office Files 1832-1878, reel 31, box 21, fd. 17.
- Missionary Record Index
- Reuben Miller journals, 1848-1849, Journal, 1849 June-September.
- Thomas Bullock journal, 1858 May-June.
- Welchman, Arthur P., Reminiscences and diary, [ca.1854-1917], fd. 1, 93-94.