- Birth Date
- 4 October 1826
- Death Date
- 7 September 1891
James Woolen Stevens
Evidence from emigration and genealogical proves that James arrived in Utah in 1850. He sailed to America in 1849 on the Berlin, arriving in New Orleans 23 October 1849. The first evidence of his arrival in Utah is his marriage 7 July 1851, which was prior to the arrival of that season's emigration. Further research is needed to determine the name of the company he traveled with.
He purchased property in Salt Lake 25 March 1853.
He later served a mission to Eurpoe and returned to Salt Lake in the 1858 John W. Berry Company. His name is listed as "James M." on the Missionary Record Index, and as "James W." on the 1858 Emipire ship register.
- Age at Departure: 23
- Age at Departure: 31
- 1850 Utah Census.
- 1856 Utah Census.
- Bullock, Thomas, to Brigham Young, 26 June 1858, in Brigham Young, Office Files 1832-1878, reel 36, box 26, fd. 5.
- Bullock, Thomas, to Editor, 22 July 1858, in Missionary Reports, fd. 17.
- George Goddard papers, 1855-1899, Journals, Volume 2, 1857 April-1858 July.
- Isaiah M. Coombs collection, 1835-1938, Diaries, Volume 8, 1858 April 13-1858 September 1, 16-66.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 21 June 1858, 32.
- Missionary Record Index
- "Registry of Names of Persons Residing in the Various Wards as to Bishops' Reports, Great Salt Lake City, Dec. 28th, A.D. 1852." In Wright, Norman Edgar, ed., Key to Migration Sources Great Britain and North America.
- Salt Lake County Recorder's Office, Deed book A, 1850-1859.
- Thomas Bullock journal, 1858 May-June.
- Watt, Ronald G., Public Works Accounts Books Index , .
- Welchman, Arthur P., Reminiscences and diary, [ca.1854-1917], fd. 1, 93-94.